Go to your desk – sit down – gather all of the piled up business cards, hand written notes with names and phone numbers, pull out that binder of collected business cards, and print out names and phone numbers of everyone in your cell phone. Oh, and pull out that old school address book that you thought you would never use after you bought the cell phone.
Take all of these contacts – place them in a pile on your desk- look at the pile and ask yourself the following questions:
How much revenue for my business is hidden in this pile of names and addresses?
Be honest with yourself when answering this next question.
Have you really attempted to contact all of these people to express your excitement about the benefits of your product or service? Not to sell to them; but to share your excitement about what your business has done for you and your family.
Okay. Now that you are back – I want to share the next steps you must take to realize that hidden revenue in that pile. But first consider this notion from Jeff Olson.
In his book titled Slight Edge, Jeff Olson writes, “Successful people do what unsuccessful people are not willing to do.” He also reminds us that simple daily tasks are easy to do, and yet they are easy not to do.
In other words, contacting everyone in your pile of names and numbers is easy to do – and it is easy not to do. Not doing it will not make or break your business; yet doing it could generate extra revenue that may give you the motivation to work your business even more. Successful people will make those calls and do the sorting necessary to determine how to share their excitement. You may consider getting The Slight Edge. Its a great read.
That said, the following 6 steps will get you started on the process of letting go and finding that fortune – which may be in that pile of names and numbers we just collected.
- Let go of any notion that you are selling. You are not selling – you are sharing and sorting. Sharing your excitement about your business and sorting out their level of interest – which determines, to some extent, how you share.
- Clear your mind of any pre-judgment you have about the people in that pile.
- Keep the call to 12 minutes or less
- As you make the calls, place the name, number, and pertinent info on your follow up list (this way you can throw away the business card and eliminate the clutter)
- Create five to seven bullet points you will share when you make the call
Consider the following when writing your bullet points:
- Your excitement and passion for what you do
- The impact the business has had on you and your family
- How much fun you are having
- You have partnered with someone in your business who has had great success
- Refer them to your website or blog
Get started right now. Do not put it off until tomorrow. I write in my book about the “today” philosophy. Many people say, “One day I will…” In my opinion, successful people say to themselves, “Today I am…” and they act today, rather than one day. So get started TODAY on creating your empire and do it today. I wish you the very best with your home based business. If I can ever assist, my contact info is below. I invite you to contact me anytime.
Darren L Johnson
Business Coach, Author, Speaker